In keeping with a tradition of academic achievement, Pearland Independent School District will once again send an Academic Decathlon team to the state meet in late February.
After the Region V competition, the Pearland High School team is advancing to state in the large school division, while Turner College and Career High School’s team — now in its second year — gave stiff competition in the medium school division.
Competing for the first time in the large school division, Dawson High School also had a good showing at the meet.
PHS decathletes currently rank No. 1 in Texas, breaking 50,000 points for the first time in regional competition since 2008. They also won the Super Quiz Relay.
TCCHS teammates placed fifth overall in the regional competition and won third place in the Super Quiz Relay.
Regional individual medalists include:
PHS Awards (Large School Division):
– Ethan Arnold: Gold in economics, science and social science; silver in math and music; bronze in art; and overall silver medalist in honors division
– SaraBeth Matthews: Silver in music and social science and bronze in economics
– Jimmy Thai: Gold in economics and literature; silver in art, music and science; and bronze in social science
– Micah Gautney: Gold in economics, math, music and social science; silver in science; bronze in essay; and overall silver medalist in scholastic division
– Samuel Holmes: Gold in economics; silver in art, music and social science; and bronze in math
– Garret Mattila: Gold in art, music and social science; silver in literature; bronze in science; and overall bronze medalist in scholastic division
– Dakota Dock: Bronze in science
– Savannah Segura: Silver in social science and bronze in literature
– Zachary Watson: Gold in economics, music, science, social science and interview; silver in art, literature and math; and overall gold medalist in varsity division
TCCHS Awards (Medium School Division):
– Eden Garza: Bronze for interview
– Sam Werner: Gold for essay
– Cristopher Ibanez: Silver for essay
– Joshua Salas: Bronze for interview
Academic Decathlon is designed to engage high school students from all academic levels in rigorous team competition.
During meets, students compete individually in multiple-choice tests in science, math, economics, language/literature, art and music. Competitors also take a written quiz and complete speech, interview and essay contests.
Coaches included Robert Layne, Corey Cogswell and Scott Crossno for PHS, Jacob Schutter, Dana Hutchins and Jana Morse for TCCHS and Sarah McKinney, Lauren Jablonski and George McKendree for DHS.