By KAROLYN GEPHART
A new recorded Texas Historic Landmark has been placed by one of the four oak trees on the lot formerly owned by Albritton Soil Yard and now the site of new construction by builder/developer Louis Tannos.
The marker recognizes and honors the first business in Friendswood in 1907, Hadley General Merchandise.
The marker provides the history of the store as well as what occurred there at later dates.
Friendswood’s first business, a small general merchandise store, was opened on that site in 1907 by a Quaker from Lowell, Kansas, Cyrus J. Hadley.
Hadley and his wife, Elvira, made staples available to the community. Prior to Hadley’s store, Friendswood residents sent their grocery lists with the mail carrier to League City where he filled their orders and brought groceries back with the mail.
This was part of the mail carrier’s duty and was written in his contract with the postal service.
At Hadley’s death in 1935, Manuel and Florence Snow operated the store briefly before selling to Effie and son Jimmie Albritton in 1937. Albrittons were the local grocers until 1961.
The first supermarket style store opened in 1952 at 211 S. FM 518. Quaker James Baker opened the store. When it closed in 1982, it was the last of the independent grocers in Friendswood.
The research and requests for the marker were handled by the Friendswood Historical Society through the Texas Historical Commission.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks are properties judged to be historically and architecturally significant.