By KAROLYN GEPHART
A fundraiser for the Marguerite Rogers House Museum in Alvin is being held at the Alvin Museum Saturday Oct. 6. An Attic and Closet Sale is planned from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the museum parking lot at 300 West Sealy.
Items in the sale will be selected items from the museum’s closet as well as donated items from members’ attics.
The Marguerite Rogers House Museum is owned and operated by the Alvin Museum Society. The 1909 Victorian style house is located at 113 East Dumble, in Alvin.
The cottage was crafted over an eight year period by a Civil War veteran to show his skills in Victorian construction, with gingerbread, two turrets, massive pocket doors and a bow knot fence. It even has a combination outhouse and library.
In June 1938, James A. and Marguerite A. Rogers bought the property from Mr. Bass. During the following several years, the place was reroofed, all public utilities put in and repapered and painted.
The Rogers’ daughter, Emaline Rogers Longnecker, bequeathed the property to the Alvin Museum Society in 1995. The Society restored the home and named it Marguerite Rogers House Museum, in honor of Emaline’s mother.
Docents conduct tours of the house and grounds and give commentary on the antique furnishings in the house. Tours are by appointment only. Special arrangements are available for groups.
For information call the Alvin Historical Museum at 281-331-4469 or go to [email protected]