City invited to 125th Anniversary of Pearland

In Pearland by Reporter NewsLeave a Comment

By Karolyn Gephart 

The City of Pearland is celebrating their 125th Anniversary Thursday, September 26, 2019 from 10:30 am to 6 pm at various locations. The city is celebrating where the last 125 years have brought it and where the next 125 years will lead.

  Opening remarks will begin at 10:30 am and will be given by Mayor Tom Reid at the Tom Reid Library at 3522 Liberty Drive. Following the Mayor, the Honorable Hideo Fukushima, Consul General of Japan and Representative Ed Thompson will both speak.

  The Texas Governor’s Office acknowledgement will also be presented. Refreshments will follow.

An historical display and Depot tour will be given by the Pearland Historical Society from 10:30 am to 4 pm. The Depot is located at 3501 Liberty Drive.

A display of unique architecture of the Sri Meenakshi Temple in Pearland will be on display at the Depot.

Completed in 1982, this large, white Hindu temple is on a 23-acre tract of land at 17130 McLean Rd. The Temple is modeled closely after the historic Meenakshi temple in Madurai, India and features intricate carvings inside of its main temple, priests quarters, youth center, library, visitors center, and exteriors.

The display at the depot looks closely at the architecture of the Temple.

An art exhibit by the Pearland Art League will be on display at the Tom Reid Library.

The Pearland Band will perform from 5:30 to 6 pm at the Gazebo at 3519 Liberty Drive.

The history of Pearland began in 1861 with a grant of land applied for by the Houston, Tap and Brazoria Railroad Company. It became a siding switch on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway in 1882. The community was first named Mark Belt, when a post office was established in 1893. The name was changed to Pearland in November of that year because of the abundance of pear trees in the community.

The depot on Liberty Drive played an important part in early history of the city. Today the depot stands battered but proud, with a railroad crossing sign next to the driveway beside the building and an old caboose by its side, next door to the modern city hall, according to history detailed on the website of the Convention & Visitors Bureau in Pearland.

Read more about Pearland’s 125 year history at www.visitpearland.org.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email